What Business Leaders Can Learn From an Ancient Roman Emperor, Part 2: Focus on What You Can Control!
Around 165 AD, during Marcus Aurelius’ reign, a devastating epidemic, known as the Antonine Plague, hit the Roman Empire. This was a huge health crisis, similar to what we might think of as a pandemic today. It was a tough time, with many people getting sick and dying. The situation was chaotic, and as Emperor, a lot of responsibility fell on Marcus’ shoulders.
Marcus’ Response: Focus on What’s Controllable
In this crisis, Marcus showed his strength as a leader. He knew he couldn’t stop the plague itself – medical science back then wasn’t advanced enough to cure such diseases. But instead of panicking or feeling helpless, Marcus focused on what he could do.
- Providing Aid and Support: He organized relief efforts, helping to distribute food and aid to those in need. This was like making sure people had enough resources to get through the tough times.
- Staying Calm and Rational: Marcus didn’t let fear or despair take over. He stayed calm and thought clearly about how to help his people. This was crucial because panic could have made things much worse.
- Leading by Example: He led by example, showing courage and resilience. This inspired others to be brave and stay strong, even in such a difficult situation.
- Embracing Stoic Philosophy: Marcus was a believer in Stoic philosophy, which teaches that we should accept things we can’t change and focus on our own actions and attitudes. He applied this philosophy in dealing with the plague, accepting the situation but working hard to manage its impact.
The Outcome and Legacy
Marcus Aurelius’ handling of the Antonine Plague is remembered as a prime example of effective crisis management. Even though he couldn’t cure the disease, his actions made a big difference in how the empire coped with the crisis.
For Us Today:
- Accept What You Can’t Change: Just like Marcus accepted that he couldn’t stop the plague, we should accept things beyond our control. This could be market trends, economic downturns, or other external factors in business.
- Focus on Your Response: Concentrate on how you respond to challenges. This could mean finding new strategies, staying positive, and inspiring your team during tough times.
- Stay Rational and Calm: In a crisis, keeping a clear head is key. Make decisions based on logic and careful thought, rather than letting emotions drive you.
- Lead by Example: Just as Marcus did, show resilience and strength. Your attitude can motivate and guide others.
Marcus Aurelius’ story during the Antonine Plague teaches us about the power of focusing on what we can control, even in the face of overwhelming challenges. It’s a lesson about accepting the uncontrollable while making the best of what we can influence.
Hello, my name is Anubhav Srivastava, and I am a Business Consultant and Keynote Speaker. As a business leader, you may be interested in improving the overall performance (and consequently PROFITS) of your organization. Would you be interested in the same?
If so, I can help bring change in your organization through COMPREHENSIVE LONG TERM Online Training Programs conducted live via Video Conferencing, for your various teams, in the crucial areas of having a Highly Motivated Mindset, Sales and Negotiation, Teamwork and Productivity, Leadership and Innovation, and finally Confidence and Communication.
This program will solve every issue you have with training your team on the Most Important skills that improve business performance
ALL OF THESE are areas that DIRECTLY Impact Your Profits and are essential for the sustained success of any team! These Programs can be Short term or Long Term depending on your requirements.
Please email me back or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We can also set up a time for a call if you wish.
So who is Anubhav Srivastava anyway?
– Trained/coached/consulted over 90 organizations and 19 Industries with over a decade of experience.
-I have coached participants from some of the largest corporations and Multinational companies with a global presence. I have also personally coached CEOs of top companies and am the speechwriter/ghostwriter for the Chairman and CEO of a Venture Capitalist Backed Billion Dollar company. I have also spoken to a lot of smaller companies across a wide range of industries and dealt with all management levels.
-I have provided my services across a wide range of sectors as Insurance, Finance, IT, Media, Education Services, Construction & Real Estate, Power Generation, Hospitality, Chartered Accountancy, Pharma, Automotive, Telecom, Legal Services, Equipment Manufacturing, Food, Fertilizers, TV Broadcasting etc.
-Creator of one of the top ranked Inspirational Movies On Youtube worldwide, Carve Your Destiny, having more than 2.6 million views
-Featured several times in India’s Media and also on BBC Radio
– Written for top Business Magazines and Websites
-Blog featured as one of the top 100 Productivity Blogs in The World By Feedspot.com
– Masters Degree from University of Leicester, UK. Bachelors from Western International University, USA and schooling from St. Columba’s School, Delhi
My complete credentials are visible in my WEBSITE link given below. You may also take a look at my Youtube channel for reference.
Website: http://anubhavsrivastava.com/about-anubhav (If the link does not open due to heavy traffic, please try after some time)
Youtube Channel for Business, Sales and Life Mantras + Training Excerpts – YouTube Channel
Link to my inspirational movie Carve Your Destiny with over 2.6 million views Carve Your Destiny! Super Inspirational Movie / Motivational Video/ Documentary | Business Training – YouTube
Email me at email@example.com to discuss further.